If you’re like an increasing number of Americans, you spend less time eating traditional meals these days and more time eating snacks. Studies show that snacking now represents as much as 50 percent of our eating each day. This has led to a “snackification” of food culture that’s redefining meal times. At the same time, many Americans have become increasingly concerned with healthier foods and more exercise. In turn, the demand for healthy (but satisfying) snacks is skyrocketing.
According to one report, the number of healthy snackers has risen from 29 million to 41 million since 2004. 94% of Americans snack daily and, in another survey, an eye-opening 33% said they are snacking healthier this year than last. Today’s snackers are still looking for that on-the-go super convenience, but with more healthy attributes than ever before, such as:
- all-natural, organic, and non-GMO items
- vegetables and legumes
- focus on high levels of protein
- products lower in sodium, sugar, fat, and carbs
- less processed, but still conveniently packaged
- gluten, dairy, and soy free
While healthy snackers are focused on nutritious options, they also want tasty ones. Not too long ago, there were very few healthy snack options that didn’t taste like cardboard. Also, like most Americans, life is busier than ever, so snack options must be as convenient (single-serving, low/no prep or cleanup) as they are healthy.
Healthy Snack Options (to Actually Enjoy)
While store shelves are still filled with chips, cookies, candy, and endless rows of not-so-healthy snacks, finding healthy snacks is easier than it sounds.
When selecting a healthy snack, shoot for the following nutritional targets:
- At least 3 grams of fiber and 5 grams of protein
- Less than 12 grams of fat
- No more than 210 calories a serving
Also, keep in mind that different snacks provide different nutritional benefits. Not only can healthy snacks help meet your various dietary needs, they can provide a variety of flavors to enjoy during the day—and without breaking the bank or sucking up precious time.
Mix and match from the following easy and affordable snack options that are as delicious as they are nutritious.
Delicious low-carb snackers
- Turkey and mozzarella cheese roll-ups
- Peanut butter and celery sticks
- Vegetable protein-based snack chips
- Hard-boiled eggs (feel free to add mayonnaise)
- A handful of nuts – learn the best and worst for carbs here
- Carrot sticks and hummus
- Coconut water
Convenient, high protein snack options
- Beef or turkey jerky (even better if it’s lower sodium)
- Mixed nuts or trail mix
- Pumpkin seeds
- Protein-infused, diet chocolate snack balls
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Oatmeal raisin cookies
- Chocolate milk or meal replacement shakes
- Protein bars
High fiber snackables
- Sunflower kernels
- Protein & fiber bars
- Whole wheat bagel with cream cheese
- Bran cereal with raisins
- Cereal bars
Low fat, high taste snacks
- Granola – bonus if it’s high protein chocolate granola
- Cottage cheese veggie dip
- Sardines on crackers
- Crunchy diet snack chips
- Low-fat deli meat
- String cheese
- Low-fat yogurt
- Diet Pretzels
No ho-hum vegan snack options
- Pea protein snack chips
- Low calorie/low carb pasta-alternative shirataki noodles
- Seaweed snacks
- Roasted chick peas
- Vegan dark chocolate (at least 85% higher cacao content is the healthiest option)
Healthy Snacks…for Every Taste
Whether you’re looking for a quick snack between meals or looking replace a meal altogether, WonderSlim offers a huge variety of tasty and affordable options to meet your nutritional preferences.
Our newly-launched Snackergy® brand was designed specifically with modern nutritional trends, in mind. Each item is carefully formulated to offer more of the flavors you want, the protein you need, and less of what you don’t. For example, our All natural beef jerky has some of the lowest sodium content on the market, by far. And our Pea Protein Snack Chips are a revolution in allergen-free, high protein munching.
Not to mention the WonderSlim claim to fame, our delicious, individually wrapped protein diet bars and nutrient-rich meal replacement bars. Each contains 10 to 15 grams of satisfying protein, and combines high-quality ingredients with professionally designed recipes that help make healthier snacking easier and more fun.
An essential part of a sustainable weight management plan is finding snacks that keep your blood sugar stable and curb your hunger, with limited calories. The most important attribute, however, is flavor. Finding something you enjoy means you’ll be better able to steer clear of the occasional binge eating session and not feel like you’re missing out on anything. Our vast selection of high protein, healthier diet snack foods have helped thousands of people do just that.
Have a favorite healthy snack? Tell us in the comments below.
Latest posts by wondercraig (see all)
- 36 Healthy Snacks (That Actually Taste Good) - July 20, 2017
- Recipe: The WonderSlim Margarita - June 23, 2017
- Healthy Recipe: Grilled Teriyaki Marinated Salmon Over Baby Spinach - December 1, 2015